Monday 30 April 2012

PROJECT 365: Part 5

This is going to be a short post.  Dangrdafne asked for a week of daily photos from my everyday life, work, home, grocery store... So that's what I'm working on this week.  I gotta warn you though, my life is not exciting....

Anywhoodle on with the show.

Day 31: Museum Workers on Strike

Yep, we're a rowdy bunch.  Well actually I wasn't striking.  The union members who were striking were upset about management restructuring the organisation without proper consultation with staff members.  I'm not sure I agree with them, but whatever rocks their socks, right?  This photo was taken from just outside the museum where I work.  The building which they are striking in front of is out head office and is known as GaMohle (Gha Moh Tle), or 'the beautiful place'.  It used to be a pass office, that is, this is where the dreaded passes were issued and where folk without passes were held.  There are jail cells in the back...


Day 32: Wakita Spur
So my friend Lori has got me on a quesadilla mission. Y'all from the USA are privileged I tell you! Do you know how hard it is to find a place that sells quesidillas over here? Well, it's pretty difficult, let me tell you.  Spur, which is a chain of restaurants over here, is one of the few places where I could find any hint of Mexican food.  Spur is a steak house.  They make the best cheddamelt steaks (steak topped with cheese and a mushroom sauce) and Goodie Burgers (a topped with pineapple, cheese and mushroom sauce).  They also make quesadillas.  And turns out, I quite like quesadillas!


Day 33: Lusito Land 
The 27th of April is a national holiday over here.  27 April 1994 was the day when the first free, democratic elections were held in South Africa, so in my opinion it's a pretty big deal.  My sister and her fiance decided to take me to Lusito Land this year.  Lusito Land is a Portuguese cultural festival, with food, drink and many other stalls.  You can find out more about it here.  There were SO MANY PEOPLE!  On Friday and Saturday night there was live music, so when we left at about 6pm, there were even more people queueing for entrance than when we arrived.  It was hectic.  But I had espetadas for the first time, bought a cool shirt, and a hypnotic device to hang over my bed.


Day 33: Turns out Shilo is solar powered.
Every now and again Shilo goes missing.  Well not really, but generally wherever I am the 2 dogs are.  And every now and again I notice Shilo isn't.  Chances are when this happens, he's lying in the front courtyard catching rays.  See, he's smiling!


Day 34: Laundry Day
Fun times...

So next time I will hopefully have some 'week in the life of Nikki' photos.  Find me on Facebook, I've already posted the first one ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. I have such preconceived notions of South Africa and I love that you are dispelling all of them.

    And no life lived is boring. I am so excited to see all about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just call me Dispeller Ducky ;)

    ReplyDelete