Wednesday 6 November 2013

ELAF Group Read - The Happily Ever After Badge

*ALL THE SPOILERS



Sigh.

These books. I've often said it, rereading these books is like visiting with old friends. It's comfortable and familiar, but it never gets boring. Each time I read them I learn something new about these characters that I love, that I missed the last time.

I never stop wishing that Nate didn't have to die. I never stop hoping that Emi would give Jack a chance. I never stop praying that Jack would give Emi one more chance.  I never don't sigh with satisfaction as I read the last line:

"and I never look back."
 
In the end, everybody got their happy ending. Yes, even Nate. I often find myself wondering what would've happened if Nate hadn't died.  I've even dragged Lori into this discussion with me.  And I think that, sure, somehow the three of them would have made their lives work, would have been content, but I also see a fair amount of disillusionment and disappointment. 
Maybe Emi was Nate's soulmate. And maybe Jack was Emi's. And maybe, everybody got everything they wanted in the end.

I enjoyed this group read so much, even if I had to scramble and play catch-up at the end.  And I will be grateful everyday that I stumbled upon these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment